The San Antonio Association of Hispanic Journalists is proud to see one of its corporate members win big in the Lone Star EMMY awards this weekend!
Telemundo 60, a Spanish language news station, was San Antonio’s biggest award-winner, being honored with a total of nine EMMY awards.
“Every day San Antonio news stations are working hard to hold the powerful accountable and deliver vital information to the residents of our city. This weekend showed that our Spanish-language community is being well-served by one of its largest news sources,” said Silvia Foster-Frau, the SAAHJ president. “We’re thrilled to see recognition for news delivered by and for our Latino community.”
Delines Alonso, Telemundo 60’s vice president of news and a member of SAAHJ, said the awards are a reflection of how important the Hispanic community and Spanish language are in San Antonio.
“Everyone at Telemundo 60 is feeling proud and excited to be recognized for our hard work, especially now in the difficult times we are living,” Alonso said. “Serving our community is our top priority and being recognized for our commitment is priceless.”
Telemundo 60 became a corporate member of the San Antonio Association of Hispanic Journalists earlier this year.
The station was also the most honored in last year’s EMMY’s, taking home seven awards and winning the top honor “Overall Station Excellence.”
It is one of 30 in the United States and Puerto Rico that are a part of the Telemundo Station Group owned by NBCUniversal. Telemundo also operates television stations in Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, El Paso and Harlingen.
The Lone Star EMMY awards honor excellence in the Texas television broadcasting industry from the state’s 19 television markets. The EMMY awards are given by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
The Lone Star EMMY awards ceremony happened virtually this year. You can watch it here.
Lone Star EMMY San Antonio Winners
Best News Special
- KSAT 12 – Broken Blue: Misconduct in the San Antonio Police Department
Best Graphic Arts
- WOAI 4 – Overanimated Imagination
Best Editor for Non-News Program
- KVDA 60 (Telemundo 60) – Rendering
Best Writer for Non-News Program
- KVDA 60 – Brainstorming
Best Weather News Single Story
- KVDA 60 – Telemundo 60 Day After Tornado
Best Specialty Assignment Report
- WOAI 4 – Show Me Your Bill
Best Human Interest News Single Story
- KVDA 60 – Hermanos Reciben Regalo De Amor (Brothers Receive Gift of Love)
- WOAI 4 – Kids Who Make San Antonio Great
Best Environment Story – No Time Limit
- KVDA 60 – Niños Al Cuidado Del Planeta (Children Taking Care of the Planet)
Best Religion News Single Story
- KVDA 60 – Cuando Lo Único Que Se Tiene Es La Fe (When All You Have Is Faith)
- KVDA 60 – Telemundo 60 Las Mañanitas A La Virgen (Serenade to the Virgin Mary)
Best Morning/Daytime Newscast – Medium Market
- KWEX 41 – Primera Hora Edición Especial Coronavirus (Coronavirus Special)
- KVDA 60 – Telemundo 60 4pm Covid-19 Patients at Lackland Base
Best Weekend Newscast
- KWEX 41 – Noticias Univision 41 Fin De Semana
Best Evening Newscast – Medium Market
- KVDA 60 – Telemundo 60 10pm Covid-19 First Case in San Antonio
Special reporting by SAAHJ member Angelica Casas